Wednesday, March 11, 2009

learning

I learned something on my run today. It's something I have said many times before but I really *felt* it and *lived* it today (if that make sense): The most important part about running is how you FEEL....and if you feel good it does not matter what your stopwatch says. In fact, if you feel good, throw the watch out the window (or on the ground). I felt GREAT for the first 7 miles...and was loving almost every minute of the run. The last mile was a struggle as I bonked and my muscles shook....but for those first 7 miles I felt like I really got why running can be so great. And I didn't give a crap about my time!

2 comments:

  1. Have you done a run and left the watch/Garmin at home on purpose? I have found that sometimes I get too caught up in my actual pace. By purposely not timing a run, I run just for the sake of the run itself, and that's quite rewarding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen

    There have been a few random occasions when my watch broke or I forgot my watch or something like that. I don't let it bother me and I try to make the most of it. Since I try to be faithful about following my marathon training schedule, I do like to know the mileage. So without my Garmin, I have to plot it out ahead of time. And that's annoying. When I'm not training for a marathon (which isn't often) I don't think too much about my pace or distance. But your comment has inspired me to do more runs without a watch!

    ReplyDelete